Inspired by Others, Kids Learn to Play Tennis
Inspired by each other, as well as by coaches, parents and grandparents, these kids are connecting with people of different generations, having fun, and making friends - in addition to getting great exercise and learning new skills.
Overview of the Junior Learn to Play Tennis Program
Our Learn to Play Tennis Program offers young tennis players structured, progressive and enjoyable learning activities that introduce and improve tennis skills and attitudes. The progressive tennis system uses court size, nets, racquets and balls that are scaled appropriately for the age and size of children.
We follow a curriculum developed by Tennis Canada and fully endorsed by the International Tennis Federation (ITF). This curriculum focuses on six positive aspects of playing tennis:
- I can rally
- I can play net
- I can perform fundamentals for each stroke
- I can start a point
- I can play points
- I am a good sport
In 2018, over 300 children in the CVRD participated in our Learn to Play Tennis Program led by Art Hobbs and his coaching team.
Coach and Pro Art Hobbs leads a highly diverse and accomplished coaching team including youth from the community who have become Tennis Canada certified coaches.
- Include all children with a wide range of physical, social and emotional abilities. For example, we have children with autism who are experiencing success in all areas of our tennis activities.
- Encourage participation in a wide range of activities in support of overall children's physical, social and emotional development.
- Foster children being good sports.
- Invite and encourage parents to observe and support their children in their tennis lessons, and invite input and feedback from parents so that we ensure children have a positive learning experience.
- Foster lifelong community tennis participation. Children have an opportunity to observe people of all ages enjoying and improving their tennis playing.
For Learn to Play Tennis Lessons
In addition to offering tennis camps, private and group lessons at South Cowichan Lawn Tennis Club during the summer months, we offer Learn to Play Tennis lessons year round at Arbutus Ridge Golf and Tennis Club.
- Next >>